Cold water surf neccesities

As you all know I love surfing and that love does not disappear when temperatures drop. In general, the waves are pretty small in the North Sea during the summer. It is in wintertime when we get proper swell, height and shape in our sea. Unfortunately this is also the time of year when things get a little fresh, to say the least. Especially February and March are very, very cold.

I've put together a little cold water surf necessity list, and throw some tips in the mix too!

When I go surfing in the Netherlands, I usually go to Zandvoort (aan zee). This little coastal town is 30 minutes from Amsterdam by train and you arrive almost on the beach. There is no place to put on your wetsuit so this brings me to tip 1:

❆ Prepare: Make sure you are nice and warm when you leave your house. Wear warm and easy clothes like sweatpants or wool leggings and warm wooly jumper (3) and hat (2). Wear your warmest coat (5). Make some hot tea with ginger (7) to take with you in a thermal flask (4). You will thank me later.

❆ Change: Change as fast as you can, preferably somewhere dry and not windy. L. likes to change in the train and although this has never lead to any comment, I feel a bit weird and generally try to find a spot outside somewhere that fits the requirements. Make sure you have something to stand on, like your board bag or a little mat so your feet don't freeze off.

❆ Start: Start at the legs. I always take of my shoes, socks, trousers and underpants first, and quickly jump into my 6/5/4 hooded wetsuit (1). Then I put on my 7 mm booties (6) and last I remove my upper garments and pull up the wetsuit and hood.

❆ Then: I stow away my bag (usually in my board bag) and 'hide' it somewhere on the beach. The Netherlands is pretty relaxt in that matter I guess, although I make sure I never bring any valuables with me, except some small change for a coffee perhaps. I make sure I wax my board and attach my leash before I put on my gloves. Then I use a little trick: I roll up my wetsuit sleeves as far as I can, and then slip on my gloves, roll the sleeves down again: voila, perfectly tucked under and no water entry possible!


C. and me ain't afraid of a little snow!
❅ Surf: Surf your ass off, make sure you paddle loads to keep warm and enjoy the waves. Do keep a check on your body temperature, you don't want to end up hypothermic! A few 'brain freezes' are normal, but if you feel yourself shaking / shivering quite a lot after a while, it's time to get out.

❅ After: Change back into your warm clothes as fast as you can. I always start with a wooly hat, if your head's warm, the rest of your body will follow quickly. Put on a jumper and a coat immediately, and then change into your lower garments. Here's where track pants come in handy, you can get into them very fast. Wear woolen socks and put your shoes on straight away. Once you are fully dressed, bring out your thermal flask with hot tea: you've earned it!



1. Xcel 6/5/4 hooded infinity wetsuit: €360,-

2. American Apparel beanie, €22,-

3. Finisterre jumper, €107,25

4. Klean Kanteen thermal flask, €35,-

5. Xcel 5 mm drylock gloves, €55,-

6. Xcel 7 mm drylock booties, €70,-

7. Yogi tea chai classic, €2,99

8. Finisterre insulated coat, €185,90 (sale!)

No comments

Post a Comment

© Liskov | Surf, Yoga, Art, Food, More...
Maira Gall